When pests make their way into your living space, the first thing that you probably think about is getting rid of them – and fast! Unfortunately, though, there is a near-endless supply of pest control products out there. So, how do you pick the exact one?
Typically, the fastest way to get rid of pest problem is to get pest control products that contain toxic chemicals. There are other, gentler ways to get rid of pests – like the popular Integrated Pest Management method that uses non-toxic methods first and toxic chemicals only as a last resort – but, in most cases, nothing works faster than good old’ fashioned chemicals!
Since different chemicals get rid of different pests, the first thing you need to do to narrow down the choice of pest control products is to figure out exactly what kind of pest you have. Depending on what kind of critters you’re dealing with, there might be another, non-toxic product out there that’s just as effective. But the only way to find out is to do your homework!
A great way to find effective pest control products is to look for products that are registered in your state. Check with your Cooperative Extension Office – it can recommend a product because it’s familiar with the pests and available products in your area.
If you don’t want the threat of chemicals around your home, look specifically for non-toxic ingredients – like proprietary cedar oil or other organic substances. There are plenty of newer innovations that can help get rid of pests, without leaving dangerous fumes and chemicals behind. When it comes to pest control products, don’t be afraid to “think outside of the box”!
And, of course, no matter which product you choose, always follow the instructions on the label. Not doing so can be downright dangerous! Effective as they can be, toxic pest control products aren’t just toxic for your pests. They can also be a threat to you, your children, and your pets. That’s why it’s important to use these products carefully.
But storing your pest control products can also be dangerous – if you don’t do it correctly. Once you’ve got a great, reliable product, you’ll need to do the following to make sure that it doesn’t become a threat to everyone else living in your home:
- Keep pest control products out of reach and preferably lock away products so children and pets can’t reach them
- Store them in a cool, dry place – and never transfer them to another container.
- Cover the directions and the product’s label with clear tape. That way, you won’t have to worry about the information falling victim to dirt or humidity before you need to read it again.
- Keep the storage area clean. You certainly don’t want to contaminate your products with dirt and other, separate chemicals.
- Check the product for leaks every once in a while. Even a small leak can turn deadly if your kids or pets find it!
- If you have some of the product left over – but don’t want to use it – contact your Pest Control Sunbury professional company. They can tell you how to get rid of it safely.
Using pest control products involves using the same caution you would a household cleaning product or pretty much any other chemical-laden product. That means you have to choose your products carefully. Before you buy anything, consider how your potential product will affect your family, your animals, and the environment around you. After all, you wouldn’t want to take care of your pest problem only to wind up with another – or greater – problem on your hands!